Everyone wants a great deal for their vacation purchase, but how do you assure a terrific value? Here are Top 10 ways that travel insurance provides value to your cherished vacation. The old saying goes: Anything that can go wrong, will.
1. Handling the Unexpected: You've planned the perfect vacation and then you can't go. What if your child becomes ill, an elderly parent is hospitalized or they fall and fitted with a cast? What if the boss requires you to stay to help work with a a work emergency? A lot can happen pre-trip, but having trip cancellation protection can help if the “perfect trip” must evolve into the “perfect trip that will happen later.”
2. Funding a “Re-do”: If a trip must be cancelled unexpectedly, the right travel insurance can fund a “re-do” so you can go in the future. You may not be sunning in the Caribbean, wine tasting your way through Europe or exploring ancient cultures in Asia as planned this week, but you can re-book when the time is right. Simply put, insurance that includes trip cancellation will help preserve funds for a “re-do” later.
3. Juggling a Mid-trip Crisis: Once on a much-needed vacation, it's easy to see why you planned the trip. The castle stay, cruise experience or bicycling journeys fantastic! You're dining in style, soaking in the scenic beauty and meeting new friends - or possibly enjoying a romantic villa stay, pampering cruise or tour of the top cities. It's just what you've imagined and planned for months. Then, the bubble bursts. Your cell phone rings. Someone has been in a car accident and your support is needed at the hospital. Or, its a call from a neighbor explaining that your home has been seriously damaged by bad weather. So now what? You really need to go home and handle things. Fortunately, insurance with trip interruption benefits means you can leave mid-trip, return home and recoup much of your investment.
4. Replacing The Basics: It's also good to remember that pieces of the trip - such as baggage - may not go as planned. Having travel insurance with baggage protection is essential if your clients arrive at their vacation destination to find that the airline doesn't have the bag you checked at the ticket counter. When will they find it? How can you get some basic toiletries? Or, what if the bag was stolen from the bag belt before you were able to retrieve it? Baggage benefits within a comprehensive travel insurance plan can help with replacement of essentials if bags are delayed, damaged or stolen.
5. Dealing with Hiccups: When things happen on vacation or a business trip, it's good to have travel insurance that comes with emergency travel assistance. A good insurance company’s team members will be available 24-7 to help deal with all kinds of emergencies. For example, if you need a lawyer in a foreign country, the team can point you to an English-speaking attorney. If travel documents are lost or stolen, the team can explain how to get them replaced. Travel assistance services offer a friendly voice and listening ear to help cope with trip hiccups and get the trip back on track.
6. Preserving Your Health: You may not worry about getting sick overseas; you feel fine as you embark on your journey. But, the flu happens. So do injuries, particularly if you're staring in awe at the Leaning Tower of Pisa or an ancient temple and don't notice the crumblin sidewalk or “step-down” while touring. If you have travel insurance with medical benefits you can be directed to a local English-speaking doctor or hospital. Or, if the insurer thinks its serious, they can help arrange payment for major medical emergencies abroad. You won't have to max out credit cards or a home equity line.
7. Getting You Out: If the insurer deems the medical situation an emergency and its clear no quality care of medical specialists are available in your local - say in remote Africa, Mongolia or South America - They have the ability to arrange a private medical evacuation (medevac) flight to a larger city with quality medical facilities, or , in some cases, back to the most appropriate hospital or medical facility back in the U S. Such private medevac flights with competent medical personnel are costly so there's great value in having this benefit should a covered, unexpected illness or accident occur.
8. Covering Simple Things: Not all vacations are complex overseas trips with multiple pieces, though. Some are simpler. The may include a quick domestic flight and a car rental trip to visit relatives or friends. For these trips, purchasing rental car protection at pennies per day is a no-brainer, saving time and money at the car rental counter. For example, what if a fender bender occurs or a child damages the car’s interior? With rental car protection, you wont need to contact your personal car insurance company for a covered collision, loss or damage (up to a certain limit) along with 24-hour emergency assistance.
9. Giving Superior Protection: Sometimes you can go the easiest route and buy the travel insurance from the company thats operating your tour, cruise, or vacation package. Any insurance is helpful, but keep in mind that third-party insurance plans typically have more benefits and fewer restrictions. It's important to compare dollar limits and benefits. For example, an international medevac flight could top $100,000, which a third-party insurer has the ability to cover. Some supplier plans may only go to $25,000. Also, review the covered reasons for trip interruption or cancellation, and whether your clients will get cash back - not simply credit for future travel purchases. Third-party plans are typically more comprehensive. Most important to consider? While its rare, if the cruise line or tour operator goes belly up, the right insurance plan can help recoup the travel investment.
10. Fostering Peace of Mind: Mom seemed healthy last week, but what if the situation changes while you are overseas? What if one of the children needs a doctor on vacation? How would they handle changing flights if the trip is interrupted? The right travel insurance - a comprehensive plan with trip interruption protection, medevac services, baggage benefits and assistance services - can help you relax and enjoy your trip with confidence.
Haute Spot Destinations is a proud partner with Allianz Global Assistance